Popular Posts

Thursday 1 January 2015

THE COCONUT SELLER


At first I was drawn to him because I was thirsty
He was the only one for miles around.
He wouldn’t look at me or any other customer around though.
He was “hip”
He had a makeshift mask made from an extra T-shirt
Wish I could genuinely say he was the ideal salesman; drawing attention from his face to his merchandise.
Then like a revealing wave, the wind blew the mask off part of his face.
Then I understood

Don’t know if anyone else noticed but I did.
He was imperfect!
He was unworthy to breathe the same polluted air I breathed every day.
He was terribly scarred.
See your hypocritically judgmental face.

You see, he was flawed, damaged.
His scars were not hidden like the rest of us
His scars were visible
There was no way he could be “the emperor with the new clothes, even for a second”.

Pity made me drink from the coconut I had already ordered
The drink which curiously tasted like quinine tonic
Guilt made me go back the following day..... and the day after
In my skewed thoughts I was helping him bear the burden of the mask that society had placed over his head
 Not help him take it off.....no!
Just to help him keep it on so society can feel comfortable

He still keeps it on but I wonder
I wonder if he ever dares take our sanctioned mask off
I wonder if any one of us is brave enough to kiss him goodnight
And to kiss him good morning when he wakes
And I wonder if the breeze secretly makes love to his face in the darkness
Away from our disapproving eyes
And I wonder if he ever lets her.



No comments:

Post a Comment