Popular Posts

Wednesday 18 December 2013

DILEMMA IV





Mrs. Mira Mensah is my role model. We get along quite well and I daresay she’s gotten the one man in the whole world who was custom created for her. He caters to her every whim; with her eccentric way of making impulsive decisions, that is no ordinary feat.
Since we wouldn’t be going to the airport after all, we decided to go to a restaurant for some dinner. We spent the whole drive regaling ourselves with stories of how Mira Mensah likes making people jump through hoops for her. Like the time she decided Adom was being bullied in the boarding house during his first year in high school, so he should become a day student. Within a term, she had changed her mind again, claiming the boarding house would make him tougher. The school authorities sure had their hands full with her during Adom’s period in school. She is sweet and she means well but I tell you, it’s not fun being the one jumping through the hoops she created.
Freda seemed a good sport about the whole thing and laughed at the stories. She had such a lady-like laugh.

The rest of the evening went without incidence, that is if you discount the little bit of staring competition Freda and I had just before we left the restaurant. When we were about leaving, she got to the car before I did and guess which seat she took? Oh yes, little Miss Perfect went for the front passenger’s seat and from the look she gave me, I could tell she was daring me to say or do something about it. So it was game on. I actually like it because then I wouldn’t feel guilty about anything I did to her. After all, all is fair in love and war, right?
As soon as I sat down, I suggested that we drop Freda off at her home and that I didn’t mind being dropped off later. There isn't a snowball’s  chance in hell that I would leave the two of them together for the rest of the night while I sit at home wondering what they were doing. If Freda didn’t like my suggestion, she didn’t let on, for which I was a bit disappointed.

The next day being a Sunday, I went to church. Bill pretended there was nothing between us again and for the first time in two years, I actually didn’t care. During worship time, I chipped in a request to God about Adom and casted Freda out of our lives. When the pastor mounted the podium to preach, I felt closer to God more than I’d felt in a while. That is before the pastor started to preach about how sin prevented God from blessing us and all; with much emphasis on sexual immorality. Never mind that his wife gossips about everything and found fault with everything on walking legs. Anita, a girl I had been fighting with for some time over Bill kept giving me these looks as if to say; the pastor is talking to you. Apuuuu! She is one to talk, considering. What she didn’t know though, was that she had also already been replaced by Elsie, this beautiful and quiet girl who was always minding her own business. I made it a point to tell her mother to advise her. I actually did like the girl and respected her too. As for Anita, I don’t know what her problem is. In the past, I would have picked a quarrel with her but I wasn’t in the mood for quarrels. As soon as the benediction was given, I left for the house. 

Freda Boateng sent you a friend request. Can you believe the girl? I stared at the Facebook notification for some time, not quite sure of what to do. I ended up clicking the ‘not now’ button.
Bill called in the evening wanting me to come over to his house and I told him I was busy. “Doing what?” he asked. “Massa! Look, you wouldn’t have given me a polite answer if I was the one asking you this question so don’t bring yourself koraaa.” I retorted. He got angry at my answer, obviously. “Whatever! Suit yourself.” I muttered after he had rudely hung up. Who does this guy think he is? Adom called soon after, we chatted for a while and we ended up making a beach date for the following Saturday.

Around nine pm, someone called me with a number I couldn’t identify.
“Hello!” the female voice on the line said.
“Hello, Amanda speaking. Whom am I speaking with please?”

"Hi, Amanda, this is Freda.”
Freda? Why is this girl calling me? The last person on earth I want to talk to is her. Forcing an upbeat note into my voice, I prepared myself for what I knew was going to be an awkward conversation.
“Hey, Freda, what’s up?”

Till next time. Hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment