Popular Posts

Sunday 5 January 2014

OTHER SIDE OF THE ALTAR



Forever was what we promised each other
When we would eat our gari soakings and peanuts
When we would watch our pirated copies of Hollywood’s latest
Forever was what your embrace promised
Forever was what my breaths heard and sighed to
Why am I sitting here, hiding my tears behind my smiles?
While you kiss some bride who isn’t me
Why should our story be one of the stats that never made it?
Tell me why I should be the cool one who makes it to your wedding and my funeral?
Explain to me why she gets to hold your manicured hands
When I was the one who kissed away your calluses?
And now haters who don’t have enough brains left for tact will feign ignorance and ask me point blank;
Why I am not the bride.

But I didn’t come to hate
My heart has refused to let me sleep
Ever since you went away
Giving me so many ideas,
Most of which are hopeful that you would come back to me.
It kept telling me we couldn’t share what we have and……………………..
I’m sorry, what we HAD and lose it.
Boy, was my heart wrong.
So today, I came.
I came to give my heart proof of what it has been denying all this while.
You are gone now.
Definitely gone!
You are the one who got away.
My heart is going to be so broken when it learns the truth.
I didn’t want the cynic in me to be right
But she is. It is really you at the altar.
Without me.
So when you are done kissing your bride,
I will be here.
To give you my last smile
Because now, it is good bye for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment