Popular Posts

Monday 7 October 2013

THE BEAUTYFUL ONES ARE NOT YET BORN



Years ago, before I actually sat my butt down to read Ayi Kwei Armah’s the beautyful ones are not yet born, I had the whole book figured out.
The hero/heroine will be jilted, (s)he will be heart-broken, recovery or some advice from a wise man/woman (whichever came first), and then the great epiphany; thereby giving birth to the title…………..or something lame along those lines.
 
When I finally read the book, I kept looking for a justification for the title in the first few pages and guess what? I never found one. Then again, that could just be me. Maybe you figured the whole ‘title’ thing within the first few pages but I didn’t. Lines turned to pages and pages to chapters and I still kept wondering why the writer would give the story such a title. It wasn’t until the last page of the story before I caught on to where the title came from. If you haven’t read this book I recommend it. Just don’t let this piece of writing be a spoiler and please don’t rush to go and read the last page of the book. Have a little self control, will you?

Anyway, my point is; it is very unfair and a bit silly to make up your mind about the BIBLE you haven’t read and call it false. You may be basing your argument on some verse you heard someone quote and chances are the person probably quoted it wrong. We like doing that a lot (by ‘we’, I mean those of us who are the ‘religious’ fanatics). We misquote the Bible a lot of the time.  Why don’t you read it for yourself and make up your own mind? And when I say read it for yourself, I mean, without prejudice. You might be surprised at how much you’ve assumed.
Don’t take my word for it but that ‘holy book’ is…………………never mind. Figure it out for yourself.

TILL NEXT TIME, THANK YOU FOR READING.

No comments:

Post a Comment